FN self machining?

It's unlikely that your FN would self machine - as it doesn't use cheap-ass
(sorry Ron - you're one of the few Cheap Asses I know who still likes to
do the job right!) rivets like the later close ratio boxes did.

There are 2 seals in the bell housing that can fail, especially at
constant high rpm - the main seal and the clutch pushrod seal.  These are
both capable of dumping a lot of oil into the clutch and bell housing,
especially when your engine is revving at 4000-5000 rpm.

These seals are easily replaced - along with the oil soaked clutch - when
the transmission is removed from the car.

Check the push rod for runout and replace the push rod bushing (check your
Bentley) when replacing these seals.  Also a good time to check for
evidence of a leaking rear main and replace it as well.

SMS would be coupled with a grinding, groaning sound that sounds a lot
like the differential wearing a hole in the case of the transmission (I
wonder why? :) )

Despite what your mechanic may think, excessive oil WILL cause leakage
past the pushrod and mainshaft seals, as they are designed to run above
the oil level of the transmission, and are sealing out oil splashed about
by the rotating gears and shafts.  I had this problem with my 92 golf that
a VW tech carelessly topped up by an extra 1.25 L or so prior to my
driving across the country and back.  The main seal failed on the return
trip.  It did not leak as badly after I drained and refilled the
transmission with the correct amount of fluid, but did continue to weep,
as did the VW tech after I reamed him out with a used drive axle... :)

Drew

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, DEMETRIS  RAPTIS wrote:

> first, i wanna thank Daun and his family for putting up with us this
> past weekend. it was great time!! i got to meet a lot of list members.
> On my way back home, my 16v started leaking gear oil ( Redline MTL)
> from the bellhousing and inner boot. There was definitely excess oil
> in the tranny from the start. and all those 100 mph blasts trying to
> catch up with Marc Getty made things worse. i got home OK, clutch was
> not slipping, drained the tranny and still got 2.2 qts out of it. Is
> it possible for the FN tranny to self machine itself ?  My mechanic
> says maybe, and he claims even with excess oil in the tranny it would
> not leak past the seals in the bellhousing. the funny thing is i
> cleaned everything up, drove the car hard, clutch is Ok, and no more
> leaks!! should i drain the MTL again and replace it with mineral gear
> oil and see what happens? Demetri

Drew MacPherson - '84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel