OK i swear my scirocco is cursed... overheating

On 6/6/02 12:59 PM, "Scramjet5@aol.com" <Scramjet5@aol.com> wrote:

> it looks like the coolant cap might be broken it starts leakin when its only
> at half way and is unstoppable once it reaches 70 however yesterday my car ran
> at 75% so what the hell is the cap broken...

Another thought is that the cap is of a relief design. Meaning that if the
pressure exceeds 15psi, then it will relieve pressure and coolant will come
out. The dealer service crew should have a pressure tester so check the
holding pressure.

It will relieve pressure if, for instance, the fan doesn't come on, and
you're in slow traffic, or also if the thermostat doesn't open. It will
protect your hoses and radiator from rupturing. Anytime the coolant
temperature reaches like 270F. (IIRC)

You say the gauge is at 75%, but occasionally there is build up on the
electrical connections so that the temperature is actuall much higher than
indicated. What is your oil temp at? Don't necessarily trust the gauge,
where does it usually run at?

So, check that the fan is coming on when idling. Also put in a new
thermostat for good measure. If you're real poor, and have to have the car
working, you could put it together without a thermostat to make sure it
works. It's summer so it's not too bad, but you shouldn't drive with it like
that for a long time. The wide temperature cycling is not good for the
headgasket.

You're cool man, as far as problems go, this is simple. Be thankful it's not
the upper radiator hose, that thing is like $120 from the dealer.

HTH,
Jonas