OK i swear my scirocco is cursed... overheating

Brian,
your a little vague.
explain what happens when you add water to your system when it is cold.
explain the circumstances when it over heats.
also after the engine is warm can you confirm that you are getting coolant
flow. Before it is hot have the cap off and watch the coolant. and see it
if flows.

Also if you just changed the coolant did you "burp" the system.
brian