'85 keeps stalling

--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Jorel Jackson wrote:
> >
> > I've been working on the effing '85 all weekend.
> It
> > has a new exhaust now, but runs like crap. The car
> > will sit and idle nice enough, but when you stab
> the
> > accellerator, then let up, the car will stall. I
> don't
> > have access to my Bentley now. Hopefully someone
> can
> > give me an idea. Maybe the Hall sender or idle
> > stabilizer doodlewanger? Thanks to any helpful
> suggestions.
> >
> > =====
> > Jorel Jackson
> > web site:  http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jomoj/
> > 1987 16v & 1985 8v Sciroccos
> > 2000 Neon ES
> > Jaguar XK 180
>

> What new exhaust was it?, how much was changed? If
> it was a big change
> from a stock single downpipe it might have changed
> the air to fuel ratio
> slightly but enough to cause the problem. I might be
> psychotic but
> whether it's the cause or not I'd get it checked if
> just to recalibrate.
>
> Your runability problems also sound like air leak
> trouble, all things
> being equal; esp since things can get tweaked and
> bent and dislodged
> during repair or upgrade work.
>
> Does the 85 have two vacuum line ports on the Dist,
> both decel and
> advance? Got a timing light? How old are the
> Injector o-rings?
>
> TBerk
> flopping all over the place.

The exhaust is stock, I put in new stuff from the
downpipe on back. I can't detect any vacuum leaks. I
do have a timing light, and don't know about the
O-rings. I'll check all that, but first I'm going to
put in a new tank of gas since the car has been
sitting still for a few months, and I didn't brush it
down and dry it off. In other words: I rode it hard
and put it away wet. Thanks for your suggestions!

=====