Forgot parking brake - ooops

"Tobias ><" wrote:

> After an already very eventful night with both my cars - me working on on in
> the middle of an empty supermarket parkinglot after having to walk home to
> get my tools - I got the 83 home again, then walked back to get the 88 ..
> drove to a parking structure to finally align the projector lights, and
> drove home.
>
> Drove home sluggish ... stepped on gas to make up for it. Pull in the
> carport, exit, and am greeted with a perfuse stench of burning something ...
> and ... smoke rising from both rear brakes. I forgot the damn parking brake
> when I left the parkingstructure!?!??!?!
>
> The brakes were smoking for a while, and clinking madly like the exhaust
> does after a hot run. I had the brake on 3 clicks tight. So, exactly how
> much damage did I do here?
>
> T - just having one of dem off Scirocco nights

Seals might have lost some years of life, and it would be a good idea to
re-bleed the brakes (to get fresh stuff pushed down that way) but it's
not super critical.

88, 88- are they rear disks? If so I am concerned with them being
clamped while cooling down; this is the number one cause for warped
rotors. OTOH rear rotors are not very wide so warping is a reduced
concerned.

If drums I'm thinking about all the tiny springs in there that keep the
shoes leveled out and withdrawn getting despringafied, either way I
think it's worse on your nerves than anything.

Happy motoring,
TBerk