Idles great w/o A/C

Hey all, I got my timing issues work out and it purrs like a kitten, except
when I fire up the A/C. The idle with the A/C on high is very erratic and
surging... about 650 to 1200 to 650 and so on. Turn off the A/C and it purrs
fine again. 50% of the time the idle will normalize after 4 or 5 surges, and
sometimes it surges until I start rolling the car again. Can anyone advise
me about what component could be causing this? Normally I would ditch the
A/C system, however being a black car with black interior, and like today
its 91 degrees, sweat central. Thanks again for all your help.

86 16v Roc
92 Honda Prelude (F/S $1200.00 a.s.a.p.)
92 jetta caret
95 gti vr6