Idle problem

That would be your you're fuel injection's brain (so to speak)...
Bosch Jetronic. Electronic Control Unit for Oxygen Sensor.

Me getting up on my soap box...

The newer Bentley Manual sucks, that is the 1985 to 1993 book, as compared
to the 1980 to 1984. Although the newer version is essential if you own a
16V I find, in general, that the older book covered more things in greater
detail than the newer. Example

Engine and Clutch
1980 - 1984     89 pages for 8V engine only
1985 - 1994     38 pages for 8V and 16V

Manual Transmission
1980 - 1984     89 pages for 4 and 5 speed
1985 - 1994     44  pages for 5 speed only

Fuel and Exhaust (newer manual separates these into two section)
1980 - 1984     81 pages for CIS
1985 - 1994     89 pages (73 for Fuel and 16 for Exhaust) for CIS, CIS-E,
Digifant I and Digifant II

Me getting off soap box.

I know this isn't comparing apples to apples but I find having both manuals
very useful. The box I think you are talking about is discussed on page 74
of the older book although the box in the picture is different than the one
I remember in my 8V.

-Raffi