Idle problem

cwass99@rogers.com wrote:

> Hi,
>      I was running through the Bentley tests as part of the ongoing effort to
> deal with the Little Beastie's rather erratic idle, and I made a discovery that
> I don't understand.  I disconnected and plugged things, as per Bentley to set
> the idle, and it idled really nice.  Best it's been in a long time.  I noticed
> when I hooked everything back up, the idle went to shit again.
>      Further tests revealed that if I pinch off the hose going from the intake
> manifold to the valve cover, the idle smoothes out.  When I set the idle, I put
> a block in the end, so I doubt that length of hose is leaking.  I even added
> clamps where there were none before to make sure the joints weren't leaking.
> No good, still idles badly.
>      I guess I should mention it's an 87 8v.  Also, found a part Bentley
> doesn't mention existing on my car.  It's a big black Jetronic part, 321 906
> 263 B (for those who have Etka), looks a lot like a knock box.  Except, I don't
> have a knock sensor and there's no vacuum line into the box that I expected.
> Any idea what this is?  I hate having things in there I can't identify ;)
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Colin

Without checking the part outside on the car it sounds like you may have
a Digital Idle Stabilizer. Is it inline with the electronic ignition
module? Bentley says to remove it (just bypass really) from the circuit
by hooking the male and female connectors together during idle
adjustments.

This box is small, about two inches on two sides and perhaps an inch
deep.  Sounds like that's not what you describe but check to be sure
it's not conflicting.

Is the Jetronic box in the engine bay, the rain tray or inside the cabin
under the dash?

TBerk