Cross Drilled, Slotted, both, neither?

>  Neither seems to hold a performance advantage over the other. Neither
seems to hold a performance
>  advantage over plain, vented disks.

Not totally true.

Cross drilled does dissipate more gases than vented only; they are slightly
lighter than slotted. Slotted works better in rainy conditions and they keep
the pads fresh since they are constantly scrubbing the surface (slightly
higher wear factor).

The money setup is cross drilled and slotted.