Taking out drum brake help...

-- Andrew Wong <mkii_84@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't think I have the correct tool for taking out
> my rear brake.  In the Bentley it says you have to
> take the cotter pin out.  There is a cover covering it
> on one wheel and I cannot take it out.  The other
> wheel doesn't seem to have that cover.

OK...there should be first a little sheetmetal protective cup that fits
into the drum.  Usually a little rocking back and forth with a pair of
channellocks gets it off (use LIGHT pressure).  Then, the axle becomes
visible.  First the cotter pin, then a stainless sheetmetal stamping
that covers the nut and provides little notches for the cotter pin to
align with (why VW just didn't use a castellated nut like the rest of
the world I dunno).  Then the nut, a washer, and the outer bearing.
Getting all that off allows the drum to slide off (sometimes requiring
a little help from a Useful Tool).

If you're missing that little cup, then any good foreign FLAPS should
get you one, or a lister prolly has one around somewheres...

HTH

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.