Need help setting base line - the Dog ate Half my Bentley

NOTE: This is my thread from the Vortex forums. I have just got the RD
motor  installed in the Roc w/ new timing belt (Still lies up correctly
at valve cover, Int shaft to crank and dist pointing to cyl 1 @ TDC).

VWvortex Forums > 8v Forum > Need help setting base line - the Dog ate
Half my Bentley (Printable Version)
Click here to print this topic.

Post Title: Need help setting base line - the Dog ate Half my Bentley
Posted by: TBerk at 12:51 AM 7-24-2002

8v RD motor
K/S from same
ECU/O2 from 81
Fuel Dist from 84 JH GTI
New Timing Belt- verified timing marks, started car @ TDC- ran OK but
idled high, turned Dist clockwise by ear to lower idle.

I have a volt meter with dwell, a nonadjustable inductive pickup timing
light (never used one before), and the electrical, body, manual & auto
trans section of a Bentley Manual.

Could use some help with:

Setting fuel to air ratio via 3 mm adjustment, setting timing w/ timing
light given that there are two identical cast marks on my flywheel.
(This unit has no cut & cast mark, just two casts side by side.)

I like seafood, could you teach me to fish?

TBerk
------------------------------

Post Title: Re: Need help setting base line - the Dog ate Half my
Bentley (TBerk)
Posted by: gearhead455 at 5:51 AM 7-24-2002

Turning the distributor clockwise retards the timing, so if you are at
TDC with the timing mark at idle, you need to turn it counter clockwise.
Spec is 6 degrees BTDC for a RD. Idle speed should be about 750 - 800
RPM.

What flywheel are you using? The 210 mm RD has a notch (6 BTDC) and a
dimple (TDC) for timing marks.

There should be a pigtail hanging from the under hood wiring harness.
This is where the dwell meter is hooked into to read the frequency valve
duty cycle. With the engine warm, the dwell should fluctuate slightly
near 50% duty cycle at idle. (set on the 4 cyl scale)

Turning the 3 mm adjustment clockwise makes the mixture richer and
drives the duty cycle lower.
[Modified by gearhead455, 1:53 PM 7-24-2002]

Post Title: Re: Need help setting base line - the Dog ate Half my
Bentley (gearhead455)
Posted by: TBerk at 3:29 PM 7-24-2002

Thx, I'm off to play.

btw- I don't remember but I think the flywheel is either my 81's
original or the 84 GTI's, OR the 86 GTI's. Hard to tell unless I get at
least two of them in the same place.

Now that you mention it I remember changing the Dist to TDC when what
was originally wrong was lack of 12v, and it was turned counter clock
wise from TDC at that time.

Thx again,
TBerk
---------------------------------

Post Title: Re: Need help setting base line - the Dog ate Half my
Bentley (gearhead455)
Posted by: TBerk at 10:25 PM 7-24-2002

OK, I hooked up the timing light and find in addition to the two
identical 'buttons' on the flywheel there is also a diamond shaped cut,
just like my other flywheels. Truly I missed it during the clutch job.

Dist rotated to line cut in flywheel up with middle of window in
belhousing.

Dwell meter hooked up to test connection near firewall, duty adjusted on
4 cyl to = 47 to 51, appox.

Idle still too high, runs around 2200. Temp gets hot real quick, but
after I got brave and turned the interior fan off (heater core acting as
secondary radiator) I saw the water temp gauge still didn't register
over 3/4.

Having trouble getting to idle adjustment on back of A2 throttle body;
it's real close to the firewall in my 81 Roc. Purchased offset
screwdriver, will see if it can help get idle down to under 1k.

TBerk