Newbie......HELP!!

Erik Seo wrote:

> Hi everyone, newbie here.
>
> Just got my first Scirocco, a 1980 Rocco.
> So, I'm learning about auto maintenence.....I decided
> to change my spark plug wires.  After the change, the
> car started and ran real rough.  It would only rev
> about half as fast from idle (only 300-500 rpm's) to
> redline.  Real slow, and it sounded and felt horrible,
> sounded kind of like it was stuttering and sputtering
> up.
>
> Help!

1980 has a distributor that runs clockwise. The order is 1-3-4-2. This
means the 1st position on the dist runs to spark plug #1, the next
position on the distributor runs to spark plug #3, then next one goes to
plug #4 and finally last Dist position goes to plug #2.

Position #1 for the identification on the distributor ca be verified by
pulling the cap and seeing where the mark on the top edge of the metal
body of the dist s located. Also if you pull plug #1 (the one closest to
the belts) and rotate the motor 19 mm on crank bolt) when cylinder #1
comes up on the compression stroke.

Making sense yet?

hth,
TBerk