Coolant level warning light

Okay, all you electro-mechanical geniuses out there, I have a nagging
problem that I am unable to unravel;

Several weeks ago, I start it up and, five seconds later, my coolant level
light starts flashing at me.  I check the coolant level and it is fine.  I
top it up anyway.  Next time I drive it ('87 16V), the light is off.  The
following time I drive it, the lights is flashing angrily at me again.  It
has a pattern:  go to work in the morning, light is flashing the whole way.
After work, I fire it up and drive home, no flashing light.
 For two weeks:  Morning: flashes.  Afternoon: not.
 I replaced the level sensor....no change. Top up coolant again with
anti-freeze....no change.
 The *&!!!&%$#?!!#@@! Bentley doesn't even mention the coolant sensor, so I
have no direction from that quarter.  Nothing on the Scirocco.org tech
notes....
I'm about ready to put a jumper on the sensor plug to stop this
madness....but I like the idea of having an operating coolant level warning.
Anyone gone through this and have the solution?

Larry

Introducing NetZero Long Distance