  From: Robbie Cotner=20
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 4:18 PM
  Subject: 3,913 mile rocco road trip with new engine finished!

  Hey all I'm back, though none of you even knew I was gone!  This is =
all just babbling but may teach a thing or two-  anyway I put a =
rebuilt(by me!) '84 8v engine into my '83.  I had to finish the engine =
transfer in one week to get to a family reunion, got the engine in, =
drove it less than 50 miles in town to make sure it ran, and then was =
off through a 7 state road trip with no cell phone!  After about 200 =
miles I filled up and couldn't wait to calculate the mileage.... 15 =
mpg:(  I had no idea why but had to keep going.  In Bismark, ND my =
friend(who can't drive manual so I had to drive the whole way!) noticed =
fuel leaking.  It was from the cold start valve fuel line, so I used =
magical vinyl tape and it stopped leaking.  Kept driving and next fill =
up I was getting 30 mpg!  In the middle of nowhere in Montana a little =
coolant hose(one that goes to the oil cooler) blew.  Vinyl tape again!  =
Poured some bottled water in and got going.  Eventually when I got to my =
first destination I found that the whole 1200 miles to there:  the =
plastic fuel injector holders were not tightened at all(oops!  big =
vacuum leak!)  the O2 sensor was less than hand tight(doesn't pay to be =
in a hurry).  Only 2 intake manifold bolts were tight, the rest I had =
forgotten to even get in finger tight, I even lost one on the road =
somewhere.  The timing was off, and I adjusted it.  After those =
adjustments I got back on the road and was getting about 35 mpg!(never =
got above that though).  Anyway basically the rocco went through Glacier =
National Park, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, the Nevada Desert, Devils =
Tower, Mount Rushmore, and lots of little things-  and it didn't break =
down!  Not to brag but I'm pretty proud being my 19th birthday was only =
a week ago!  Anyway I learned not to be in a hurry, not to road trip =
with someone who can't drive your car, to always fill up before entering =
desolate areas(long story behind that one), and best of all that despite =
what I have formerly thought there actually are solutions to my roccos =
problems, unlike the acts of God I thought they were! Sorry if this was =
boring-

  Rob

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C231A2.7C135560

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><STRONG>Great story! </STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>BTW there are no "acts of god" when it comes to autos =
(any), just=20
poor or no maintenance.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Glad you made it.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Rick Alexander<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.brubakerbox.com";>http://www.brubakerbox.com</A><BR><A =

href=3D"http://clubs.hemmings.com/hams/";>http://clubs.hemmings.com/hams/<=
/A><BR><A=20
href=3D"http://clubs.hemmings.com/vwsrus/";>http://clubs.hemmings.com/vwsr=
us/</A></STRONG></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Drobw_z@yahoo.com href=3D"mailto:robw_z@yahoo.com";>Robbie =
Cotner</A>=20
  </DIV>
title=3Dscirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, July 22, 2002 =
4:18 PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> 3,913 mile rocco road =
trip with=20
  new engine finished!</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <P>Hey all I'm back, though none of you even knew I was gone!&nbsp; =
This is=20
  all just babbling but may teach a thing or two-&nbsp; anyway I put a=20
  rebuilt(by me!) '84 8v engine into my '83.&nbsp; I had to finish the =
engine=20
  transfer in one week to get to a family reunion, got the engine in, =
drove it=20
  less than 50 miles in town to make sure it ran, and then was off =
through a 7=20
  state road trip with no cell phone!&nbsp; After about 200 miles I =
filled up=20
  and couldn't wait to calculate the mileage.... 15 mpg:(&nbsp; I had no =
idea=20
  why but had to keep going.&nbsp; In Bismark, ND my friend(who can't =
drive=20
  manual so I had to drive the whole way!) noticed fuel leaking.&nbsp; =
It was=20
  from the cold start valve fuel line, so I used magical vinyl tape and =
it=20
  stopped leaking.&nbsp; Kept driving and next fill up I was getting 30=20
  mpg!&nbsp; In the middle of nowhere in Montana a little coolant =
hose(one that=20
  goes to the oil cooler) blew.&nbsp; Vinyl tape again!&nbsp; Poured =
some=20
  bottled water in and got going.&nbsp; Eventually when I got to my=20
  first&nbsp;destination I found that the whole 1200 miles to =
there:&nbsp; the=20
  plastic fuel injector holders were not tightened at all(oops!&nbsp; =
big vacuum=20
  leak!)&nbsp; the O2 sensor was less than hand tight(doesn't pay to be =
in a=20
  hurry).&nbsp; Only 2 intake manifold bolts were tight, the rest I had=20
  forgotten to even get in finger tight, I even lost one on the road=20
  somewhere.&nbsp; The timing was off, and I adjusted it.&nbsp; After =
those=20
  adjustments I got back on the road and was getting about 35 mpg!(never =
got=20
  above that though).&nbsp; Anyway basically the rocco went through =
Glacier=20
  National Park, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, the Nevada Desert, =
Devils Tower,=20
  Mount Rushmore, and lots of little things-&nbsp; and it didn't break=20
  down!&nbsp; Not to brag but I'm pretty proud being my 19th birthday =
was only a=20
  week ago!&nbsp; Anyway&nbsp;I learned not to be in a hurry, not to =
road trip=20
  with someone who can't drive&nbsp;your car, to always fill up before =
entering=20
  desolate areas(long story behind that one), and best of all =
that&nbsp;despite=20
  what I have formerly thought there actually are solutions to my roccos =

  problems, unlike the acts of God I thought they were!&nbsp;Sorry if =
this was=20
  boring-</P>
  <P>Rob</P>
  <P><BR>
  <HR SIZE=3D1>
  <B>Do You Yahoo!?</B><BR><A href=3D"http://health.yahoo.com/";>Yahoo! =
Health</A>=20
  - Feel better, live better</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C231A2.7C135560--