3,913 mile rocco road trip with new engine finished!

--0-1703595786-1027369129=:2627

Hey all I'm back, though none of you even knew I was gone!  This is all just babbling but may teach a thing or two-  anyway I put a rebuilt(by me!) '84 8v engine into my '83.  I had to finish the engine transfer in one week to get to a family reunion, got the engine in, drove it less than 50 miles in town to make sure it ran, and then was off through a 7 state road trip with no cell phone!  After about 200 miles I filled up and couldn't wait to calculate the mileage.... 15 mpg:(  I had no idea why but had to keep going.  In Bismark, ND my friend(who can't drive manual so I had to drive the whole way!) noticed fuel leaking.  It was from the cold start valve fuel line, so I used magical vinyl tape and it stopped leaking.  Kept driving and next fill up I was getting 30 mpg!  In the middle of nowhere in Montana a little coolant hose(one that goes to the oil cooler) blew.  Vinyl tape again!  Poured some bottled water in and got going.  Eventually when I got to my first destination I found that the whole 1200 miles to there:  the plastic fuel injector holders were not tightened at all(oops!  big vacuum leak!)  the O2 sensor was less than hand tight(doesn't pay to be in a hurry).  Only 2 intake manifold bolts were tight, the rest I had forgotten to even get in finger tight, I even lost one on the road somewhere.  The timing was off, and I adjusted it.  After those adjustments I got back on the road and was getting about 35 mpg!(never got above that though).  Anyway basically the rocco went through Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, the Nevada Desert, Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore, and lots of little things-  and it didn't break down!  Not to brag but I'm pretty proud being my 19th birthday was only a week ago!  Anyway I learned not to be in a hurry, not to road trip with someone who can't drive your car, to always fill up before entering desolate areas(long story behind that one), and best of all that despite what I have formerly thought there actually are solutions to my roccos problems, unlike the acts of God I thought they were! Sorry if this was boring-

Rob