striping tails. also, plastic polish

This makes me wonder, has anyone successfully polished their tail lights
completely smooth? I think I saw a photo of a scirocco with this done
circulating around on the internet once. Or maybe it was at Roadstar..

Either way, it looked really cool and I'm curious how it was done.

Anyone? .. Anyone? .. :)

-Toby