OT Buying a used Passat, tips

Not for me, don't worry. =

My brother says a 90-93 Passat is at the back of the lot, 16V auto, he do=
esn't
know much more about it at this point, but it was driven in, so it runs. =
What
are the known problems with these cars? Is the automatic a reliable trann=
y?
and so on. Any tips  from those many owners of these cars would be
appreciated. I'm sure he'll give it a thorough once over if it's availabl=
(he's a mechanic at this dealership, and has had a few VWs), but are ther=
e any
peculiarities to these in particular? Thanks. I know I can count on you f=
or
advice to pass on. I think he's getting sick of the Escort.
Cathy