[Re: OT- Drooling at the VW dealer today]

PB is on the right track, his idea just requires a chronological revision:
Each design engineer should be required to perform one or two years as a
mechanic EVERY FIVE YEARS.  This would put him on the dirty end of his OWN
designs periodically.  By doing this, he would be encouraged to invest a few
more minutes contemplating the maintenance ramifications of his designs.
And, as one in the engineering side (of aerospace), I can assure you that
very few engineers make "over $100K/year."  Those that do are in management
and will never design another part/system anyway.
Sadly, for us, the problem with maintenance issues is that they are not a
high priority during the design phase. This is a management thing, not just
lowly engineer choices.

Larry  sandiego16V

> I have said it once and I have mumbbled it many times since I own cars...
>
> Design Engineers for cars should have a mandatory 2 years as a mechanic in
> garage before they are allowed to design anything on a car
>
> maybe one day we will have cars that make sence in the way they are put
> together, meanwhile mechanic continue to break knuckles and earn 20$/hour
> while the designer/engineers make over 100K/year

> ATS - Patrick Bureau

Introducing NetZero Long Distance