Radio wiring, what a nightmare...

Andrew Wong wrote:

> I got back from vacation yesterday night and today
> decided to actually wire a radio that was on my
> Scirocco before 98.  Heres the problem now, I can't
> seem to find the wires that are from the front
> speakers to wire and I can only get sound from the
> rear speaker.  Also my antenna is really crappy and I
> can barely get good recption.  Where do they sell
> factory fender mounted antennas? I need to buy a new
> one.  How hard is it to install a new antenna and is
> removing the fender necessary.  I think the Bentley
> has instructions I'll check it out.
>
> =====
> -Andrew Wong
> 1984 Black Scirocco
> 1987 White Quantum wagon

- Run new wire. Bigger is better, to a point. Don't settle for 22 gauge
wires maaaaan.

- Make a good spot or find the factory ground location (under the
steering wheel, dash  is a common place) to ground the radio's CASE.

- Consider amping with a low signal run and separate (smallish) amps for
the front and the rear. Clarity over Power is key.

- Run a new power cable through the fire wall and place an inline fuse
near the battery end. However you get it be sure to grommet it as it
comes through any holes.

- Replacement Antennas can be sourced, you don't have to pull the
Fender. Good tips for improved reception; The ant uses the ground plane
of the chassis to get a good signal, good grounding at the base of the
Ant. (up inside the fender is essential. After getting some bare metal
and the Ant in place and secured, spray the bottom with some Rustolium
primer to seal it off.

- Ant tip Tow: From Radio Shack or equiv. obtain a Y adapter splitter
and a smallish flexi rubber Ant. Use the two to add an additional
antenna and tuck it up behind the Glove Compartment. Really good for
crappy tuners in an otherwise nice radio.

- Don't forget to wire speakers In Phase. Plus to Plus and Minus to
Minus. Otherwise they will fight each other and your sound will be
crappy.

hth,
TBerk