Radio wiring, what a nightmare...

The antenna is in pretty bad shape.  It doesn't go
down when I push it and the cable on it broke before
and is connected using another cable.  Also my radio
was pre wired to the ignition to turn on when the key
is inserted unlike the way VW had it.  My dad has
wired radios of A1's so he should be able to help me
out more, but the way the wiring looked it was getting
him mad about it.  I think b/c we are wiring a radio
to a car that has had its radio stolen before.
I've posted this pic before, last year at my first
atempt to do the radio heres the link of what the
wires look
likehttp://www.seeyouonthestreet.com/images/sysuploads/750.jpg

NOTE: it doesn't look as bad now after the removal of
some wires
--- Diamond Dave <dbarwick@sprynet.com> wrote:
> A new antenna can be purchased from virtual world
> parts. Or you can get one
> from a CB store or radio shack depending on your
> desire for quality and
> fitment. The fender antenna are not known for poor
> reception, so you might
> check your cables before you spring for a new one.
>
> The antenna can be accessed by removing the fender
> liner.
>
> You can pull the under dash trim and follow the
> speaker wiring from under
> the fuse box where they come in from the door jamb.
> Or, you can take this
> opportunity to upgrade to fresh wire. Besides, some
> stereo's will not work
> properly with the factory's "shared" ground wire
> system (i.e., you'll need
> to run fresh wire or risk damage to the head unit).
>
> Diamond Dave
> 88 Scirocco
> http://scirocco16v.com/profiles/david_b.htm
> 84 Jetta GLI
> Portland, OR
>

> I got back from vacation yesterday night and today
> decided to actually wire a radio that was on my
> Scirocco before 98.  Heres the problem now, I can't
> seem to find the wires that are from the front
> speakers to wire and I can only get sound from the
> rear speaker.  Also my antenna is really crappy and
> can barely get good recption.  Where do they sell
> factory fender mounted antennas? I need to buy a new
> one.  How hard is it to install a new antenna and is
> removing the fender necessary.  I think the Bentley
> has instructions I'll check it out.
>
> =====
> -Andrew Wong
> 1984 Black Scirocco