diesel valve springs

Be careful not to confuse displacement with compression ratio.  The VW IDI
(indirect injection diesel) engines have a high (even by diesel standards)
compression ratio of about 23:1 (compare 16.5-17:1 for a direct injection
diesel, and most industrial indirect injection diesels)  This high
compression ratio sacrifices pumping efficiency for ease of starting -
something VW felt was important for an automotive diesel application.

The minute size of the compression chamber, which is made up of the
precombustion chamber (insert in the head) and a relatively small space at
the top of the piston, is repsonsible for squeezing the 397cc of air (for
a 1.6 NA) to make it hot enough (this is the key to the compression
ignition) to ignite the injected diesel fuel (injected at 2000+psi.)  You
still have to get the same volume of air (theoretically) into that
cylinder as you would air/fuel mixture on a 1.6L gas engine at WOT.  In
reality you'll have less intake restriction than you would on a 1.6L gas
engine at WOT, so you'll get more efficient cylinder filling (on a 1.6L NA
VW diesel, the air filter is bolted to the air intake runners...)

Compression ratio is NOT related to valve lift, diameter etc., but rather
how much the intake charge (or air in the case of a diesel) is squeezed at
TDC.  The valves had better be closed when that piston is on the way up,
or else you're loosing precious air out of the cylinder, and in a diesel,
that's a bad thing.

The cam has to maximize lift and duration and minimize overlap in order to
support these requirements (maximum cylinder filling plus high compression
ratio.)

Hope this helps clear things up,

Drew MacPherson - '84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel