how can you tell if a ball joint is bad? URGENT

--0-1961822289-1025750468=:26085

OK, today the alignment shop said they couldn't give me an alignment because my right ball joint was bad.  So I got a ball joint that had a few miles on it from my parts car,  and was going to put it on but then I noticed that the hub had no play in it at all.  I checked all over, no play anywhere.  The mechanic was pretty busy so maybe he grabbed the brake rotor and felt the play?  He said it was "really bad" and would cost me $130 to fix, and I could only get parts through him.  So anyway.....  NEITHER(checked both) sides have ANY noticeable play, and I'm leaving on a 2,000 mile road trip at 6 AM tomorrow morning.  So how about I bring the spare ball joint with, and have it replaced at my destination (about 1,400 miles into the trip).  So do you think I could get by with this?  I will almost constantly be going in a straight line......

thanks in advance-

Rob