how can you tell if a ball joint is bad? URGENT

You need to drill out the rivets out of the old one and put a new one in
with nuts and bolts.  I guess you could also just have an entire arm
with you if you don't have a drill to bring.  If the ball joint does
fail, there will be a sudden loss of steering control - not a good
thing. Grab the ball end and the hub.  If there is play there, it needs
to be changed.