ACK! Pistons reversed!

Man, with the head already off, I'd pop those pistons out in a
heartbeat and reinstall them correctly.

*Can* you rotate them?  Don't know, don't want to.  You're too close to
doing this right to risk something silly.  Get an expandable ring
compressor; they're not much and mine's lasted 20+ years and a fair few
engines.

HTH

Ron

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.