[tech] Engine Balancing

The engine is internally balanced. i.e. the pulleys and flywheel can be
balanced seperately.
All engines are balanced from the factory, (after all the rotating
components are cast and forged parts that inherently have large
dimensional tolerances) but the tolerance varies depending on the
manufacturer. For instance a Porsche or Ferrari probably has a smaller
allowable difference in weight between components than a VW.
You may of may not notice any difference if you have your engine
balanced to tighter tolerances. Same for the flywheel and pressure plate
unless you plan on having the flywheel lightened which then, of course,
would just about require balancing.
Dan