Everyone on the list....please read this. Congress wants our cars!!!!

--------------060709030008000407030702

I got this from the 914 list......

Alert:  Our Porsche's Are Under Attack

As some of you know, I am a member of the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America.

I recently received this with my monthly newsletter.

Congress is proposing this:

OLD CAR CRUSHER BILL.... S 1766 SECTION 803

The Federal congress, reconvening Wednesday, January 23, 2002, is
scheduled to vote upon a piece of legislation that proposes, under the
guise of fuel economy, to crush ALL CARS fifteen years old or older This
new thousand page opus entitled "Energy Policy Act of 2002" has the same
old objective of destroying old cars and their parts that we have fought
before.

We now need to focus our united attention upon one section of this bill,
Section 803 of S 1766 called:

Assistance for State Programs to Retire Fuel-Inefficient Motor Vehicles

This is a bill which calls for paying owners of cars circa 1990 or older
an undetermined amount of cash for destroying their older cars. Of
course, funding for these payments would include our federal tax
dollars. Car owners in all fifty states would be enticed to crush
perfectly good cars because someone thinks that destroying older cars
will improve overall fuel economy.

There is no clear or firm requirement in the bill that make the owners,
after crushing their cars, buy a car that is more fuel-efficient nor is
there a clear guarantee that the individual receiving the award payment
for destroying a vehicle fifteen years old or older will not replace
that car with a newer one that actually have poorer fuel economy. This
legislation is simply another in a long procession of legislation lobbed
by non-collectors to waste millions of tax dollars and virtually destroy
the antique car hobby.

This proposed legislation seems to be way out of time and place
especially in this day and age when we are faced with a terrible
terrorist threat and a down turned economy. Of course, we in the hobby
will lose the parts sources as well as the cars for our children in
later years to say nothing of the citizens who can't afford to drive new
cars.

One of the best ways to counteract this legislation is to Inundate the
congressional offices with barrages of letters sent with strategic
timing from concerned taxpayers like you and me. Instead of one person
cranking out a letter and sending it at random, it is best for a group
of like-minded individuals to write letters (preferably handwritten, not
typed) ahead of time and then assign one person to mail a bunch of them
at specific, predetermined intervals. In that way, congressional offices
have to, at best, bring in extra help to open the letters or at least
force the staff to focus on one wave of protests at the same time.

Our strategy is for each of us to hand write at least three letters to
different legislators, each mentioning different reasons for the legislator

not to support Section 803. On the letters, please leave the date blank
for a later fill in. On the following pages are some samples of what to
write.

Here are the links to the letters that were included with the newsletter.

Sample Letter 1.doc
<http://www.perrinefamily.org/BillInfo/Sample%20letter%201.doc>

Sample Letter 2.doc
<http://www.perrinefamily.org/BillInfo/Sample%20Letter%202.doc>

Additional Letters.doc
<http://www.perrinefamily.org/BillInfo/additional%20letters.doc>

These are in Microsoft Word Format. If you need a different format,
Please e-mail me.

e-mail:  clayjr@perrinefamily.org <mailto:clayjr@perrinefamily.org>

You can also view the bill at:

www.senate.gov <http://www.senate.gov>

<http://rs9.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c107:2:./temp/~c107sUaF8J:e198302:>

Seems the government will want to buy us out (and anybody else with cars
15 years old or older)......
Good thing this is a democracy.

SEC. 803 . ASSISTANCE FOR STATE PROGRAMS TO RETIRE FUEL-INEFFICIENT
MOTOR VEHICLES.

      (a) ESTABLISHMENT- The Secretary shall establish a program, to be
      known as the `National Motor Vehicle Efficiency Improvement
      Program,' under which the Secretary shall provide grants to States
      to operate programs to offer owners of passenger automobiles and
      light-duty trucks manufactured in model years more than 15 years
      prior to the fiscal year in which appropriations are made under
      subsection (d) to provide financial incentives to scrap such
      automobiles and to replace them with automobiles with higher fuel
      efficiency.

--------------060709030008000407030702

<head>
</head>
I got this from the 914 list......<br>
<center>
 Club of America.</font></p>
S  1766 SECTION 803</p>
Wednesday, January 23, 2002, is scheduled to vote upon a piece of  legislation
that proposes, under the guise of fuel economy, to crush ALL CARS  fifteen
years old or older This new thousand page opus entitled &#8220;Energy Policy  Act
of 2002&#8221; has the same old objective of destroying old cars and their parts
 that we have fought before.</p>
 united attention upon one section of this bill, Section 803 of S 1766 called:</p>
 to Retire Fuel-Inefficient Motor Vehicles</p>
for  paying owners of cars circa 1990 or older an undetermined amount of
cash for  destroying their older cars. Of course, funding for these payments
would include  our federal tax dollars. Car owners in all fifty states would
be enticed to  crush perfectly good cars because someone thinks that destroying
older cars will  improve overall fuel economy.</p>
 requirement in the bill that make the owners, after crushing their cars,
buy a  car that is more fuel-efficient nor is there a clear guarantee that
the  individual receiving the award payment for destroying a vehicle fifteen
years  old or older will not replace that car with a newer one that actually
have  poorer fuel economy. This legislation is simply another in a long procession
of  legislation lobbed by non-collectors to waste millions of tax dollars
and  virtually destroy the antique car hobby.</p>
 seems to be way out of time and place especially in this day and age when
we are  faced with a terrible terrorist threat and a down turned economy.
Of course, we  in the hobby will lose the parts sources as well as the cars
for our children in  later years to say nothing of the citizens who can&#8217;t
afford to drive new cars.</p>
 counteract this legislation is to Inundate the congressional offices with
 barrages of letters sent with strategic timing from concerned taxpayers
like you  and me. Instead of one person cranking out a letter and sending
it at random, it  is best for a group of like-minded individuals to write
letters (preferably  handwritten, not typed) ahead of time and then assign
one person to mail a bunch  of them at specific, predetermined intervals.
In that way, congressional offices  have to, at best, bring in extra help
to open the letters or at least force the  staff to focus on one wave of
protests at the same time.</p>
of us  to hand write at least three letters to different legislators, each
mentioning  different reasons for the legislator</p>
803. On  the letters, please leave the date blank for a later fill in. On
the following  pages are some samples of what to write.</p>
the  newsletter.</font></p>
Sample Letter 1.doc</a>
Sample Letter 2.doc</a>
Additional  Letters.doc</a>
 format, Please e-mail me.</font></p>
</center>
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://rs9.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c107:2:./temp/~c107sUaF8J:e198302:">&lt;http://rs9.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c107:2:./temp/~c107sUaF8J:e198302:&gt;</a><br>
Seems the government will want to buy us out (and anybody else with cars
15 years old or older)......<br>
Good thing this is a democracy.<br>
SEC. <span style="background-color: yellow; ">803</span> . ASSISTANCE FOR
STATE PROGRAMS TO RETIRE FUEL-INEFFICIENT MOTOR VEHICLES.
<ul>
  (a) ESTABLISHMENT- The Secretary shall establish a program, to be known
as the `National Motor Vehicle Efficiency Improvement Program,' under which
the Secretary shall provide grants to States to operate programs to offer
owners of passenger automobiles and light-duty trucks manufactured in model
years more than 15 years prior to the fiscal year in which appropriations
are made under subsection (d) to provide financial incentives to scrap such
automobiles and to replace them with automobiles with higher fuel efficiency.<br>
</ul>

--------------060709030008000407030702--