[OT] A1 cabby engine converions questions

**Hope you get this Brian, trying to mail you directly bombs, my Pine
client claims it can't find a MX record for your address***

> Hey ya folks.

Howdy ho!

> I got several interviews for a job!

Woo hoo!

> Now I can get serious about finishing the cabby.

I need to do this as well (x-flow in a cabby for Katy)...finish the
install that is.

> Ok so I want to do a 2.0L conversion into the cabby cause the freshly
> rebuilt 8v just doesnt do it for me. (sorry Chris). I had trouble keeping
> it going over 70mph on the trip up here. Im gonna fix the cat converter,
> and update the FI systems first. But a 2.0L was in the plans anyway.

Ok....my 1.6 52hp Diesel Rabbit Truck will do 75....you definately need to
upgrade :-)...you sure the timing isn't off a tooth or two on that 1.7?
You should be able to push it close to 100 or over.

> #1 Has to be 100% reliable and drivable by my wife.. she just wants to get
> in it and it run, period.

Ok, 8v is a good choice then

> #2 Has to be as quiet as stock

Again, another good choice

> #3 Needs to be a clean conversion

Easy to make it look dead stock.

> #4 2.0L

Damn easy to find now that the mexi buildt A3s are hitting the
junkyards...shoot, I picked up a WHOLE 97 Golf Treck with 48k on it for
$700 for my conversion.

> #5 looks cool. <-- this is why i was thinking the 2.0L Xflow

This adds complication, that I don't recommend in *this* case, just for it
to look cool.

> #6 Must have A/C

Easy to do if you have it already.

> #7 Must have Cruise Control. <-- my requirement for those long trips.

Hard to find for CIS, and even harder to make work for Motronic if you go
full blown crossflow conversion.

> #8 Easy to get parts/repair

Ahhh...ok...with all that you have said, just use the ABA bottom end and a
JH head on the block, simple, straight forward, and parts galore.  Good
luck on the CIS cruise control...

> What options are availiable and doable.

Full blown x-flow conversion including Motronic

ABA bottom end with JH head, retain everything else stock, add knock
sensor and Techtonics long downpipe.

Audi 2.0 bottom end (aka "Bubble Block") everything retains stock except
JH head knock sensor...no special downipe needed.

> Basic questions would involve.
> Can CIS, CIS-E be used in a 2.0L conversion? if so which ones?

Yes, both, either...forgot the 3rd choice, Motronic.

> What additional problems will switching to the DIgifant or Motronic for a
> new 2.0L X-flow present for installation?

Wiring, wiring, wiring, accessories are different (alt, a/c compressor),
timing cover, etc etc etc....let me know if you want the full blown deal,
I am almost done with this conversion.  Also, fitment of the intake make
be an issue...I haven't checked that yet, motor is in, intake is
off...wiring mostly done...of course, you need the speed sensor module for
the instrument cluster, and the special long downpipe from TT, among other
things....

> ANy out of the blue suggestions?

Yes, get a JH head, ABA bottom end, knock sensing ignition, long downpipe
from TT,  and go for it.

Easiest, simplest and should be as reliable as stock.

Trust me, if I had to do it over again, I would have just used the
Digifant head on the ABA bottom end and been done with it.  But I had to
be all cool and shit and get in too deep :-)  Project is over a year old
now, and still not done....Katy wants her cabby!  And I want my TDI Golf
back :-)

Hope this helps Brian.

--
Eric
Northglenn, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
80 Scirocco (Parts car again, no more DD duty)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (THE NEW RIDE)
00 Golf GL TDI (Katy is driving this for now)

-Kelli Fox