Identifying a Quaife

I'd think the best way is to remove one of the axle flanges. If it
doesn't have the preload spring and the little brass cone that's a good
indication.
Course, it could be an early transmission that didn't have these things.
If you remove both flanges an open diff will be real easy to turn the
splined shafts in opposite directions. But, even if it's difficult to
turn the shafts in opposite directions it could still be a Phantom grip
or some such thing.
If it was me and I was paying an extra $600 I'd pull the case apart just
to be absolutely sure.
Sorry, that's all I can think of.
Dan