Oil leak - please help

     It's pretty rare (at least in my experience) to get that severe a leak
from a valve cover.  I definitely agree, though, that this will probably be a
lot easier to track down if you clean the engine bay.  Aside from the oil pan
and oil cooler, you should probably take a really good look at the oil filter.
Looking at where it is, I could see it getting a hole poked in it from road
debris, although I've never heard of this in a Scirocco.
     I accidentally deleted your original message, so I don't remember what
else you said you had looked at.  Did you check for main seal leaks?  Would
have to be a major failure, but I guess it's possible.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Colin