Pressure in the Valve Cover (16v)

I guess I just don't understand.  The engine compartment in my car was
completely covered in oil when I bought it because a) the oil filler cap
was leaking, and b) there was a big hole in the breather tube.   I have
remedied both problems, but still get a little oil on the filler cap
(new).  Every car I have ever owned had some way to relieve pressure in the
crankcase/valve train.  In most cases, it was some sort of PCV system.  The
16v doesn't have it.  It only has the breather tube connected to a small
vacuum line and the air box.  Even with this set up, I do not understand
why there is pressure in the valve cover.  The oil drain holes in the head
should allow the pressure to be bled back to the crankcase and on to the
air box.  I'm sure that the pressure buildup in the valve cover is also why
we have seal failures and oil in the distributor as well.  These appear to
be fairly common problems so I don't think I've got anything else I need to
fix.  Can anyone elaborate on this?  Anyone come up with a solution?

John
87 16v
El Paso