help with strange noise

My car likes to make a really strange noise when starting the car cold.  I
turn the key and hear what sounds like the starter spinning real fast, like
free spinning.  It does this for about 4-5 seconds, then with loud
clunk/grind type sound it engages the engine and the car turns over.

What the hell can it be?  Bad starter?  Something more serious?

It ONLY does it when its real cold. Like in the morning when its <35 and has
been sitting all night.  I leave for lunch and at the end of work and its
fine.  Starts like normal.  Days when its warmer out, starts like normal.

Its got me real worried...

Brad

87 16V