Fw: Please Forward to Scirocco List

The following is forwarded at Theron's request. So, if you respond make sure
you include his addy at the bottom of the e-mail.

> My 2 liter, 8 valve, 10-1 compression motor is finally in my '81. It's
running pretty well except that I'm hearing knock when going up hills, and
if I don't keep my revs high enough.

> I know that I need to install a knock sensor setup with a new distributor,
but I'm wondering what my best solution is for now until I get that set up.
I'm also wondering what's the best/relatively inexpensive route to getting a
knock box set-up.

> As for lessening the knock right now, I think my options are as follows:
>
> 1) Don't drive the car ... Unfortunately that's not really an option.
>
> 2) Switch to a lower thermostat ... right now I'm running an 80 degree
that I got from Potterman. (BTW, I'm running only Redline WaterWetter with
water right now--no antifreeze.)

> 3) Run octane additive. I'm running 91 octane right now and I've added
some Outlaw octane booster (endorsed by Dale Earnhardt (sp?) Jr.!!) Is there
an octane booster anyone has had success with?

> As for a permanent solution:
>
> 1) Install a knock sensor set-up ... Would the best way be to buy a plug
and play set-up from Fast Forward? Should I pay $100 more for one of their
distributors? I'm in the middle of a house move, so I wouldn't be able to
hunt the junkyards until February.

> 2) Get a bigger radiator + expansion tank set-up ... I'm running stock
right now without an expansion tank.

> 3) I have an oil cooler that I need to install that may help a bit ... and
on another note, somehow I lost the hookup for the oil temp gauge. WTF??
Where the hell could it be? Could someone email me a picture of it so that I
can see which wiring harness it comes out of?

> So for now I'm just keeping the revs high so that I don't bog it down and
cause knock. But I'm freaking out thinking that I'm going to do some severe
damage to my motor. I'm willing to pay Fast Forward for one of their
set-ups, but I'd hate to buy it if it's not the way I should go.

> BTW, we've been having lots of problems with email here at work. I'd
appreciate it if you could cc any replies to this message to
"theron@omnisky.com".