[tech] swaybar question

--- Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> The 16V is heavier than the 8V. Specifically, the
> front of the 16V is
> heavier. So, the front springs have a higher spring
> rate than the 8V
> front springs. (The rear factory springs are
> different also, but their
> spring rate isn't much different.) Higher front
> spring rate increases
> the front roll stiffness. So, with a cornering load
> more of the weight
> transfer will happen at the front causing the car to
> understeer. VW
> compensated for the stiffer front springs by
> increasing the rear roll
> stiffness with a larger rear sway bar.
> For a street driven car where ride is important, the
> ratio of
> front-to-rear spring rates is calculated based on
> front/rear weight
> distribution, wheelbase and average speed (speed you
> want the ride
> optimized for). so, if you change the front/rear
> weight distribution
> that should change the ratio of front/rear spring
> rates which will
> change front/rear roll stiffness distribution. This
> roll stiffness
> distribution may not be optimum for handling. This
> is corrected by
> adjusting the roll stiffness distribution with sway
> bars.
> Putting a stiffer rear bar on will cause the car to
> oversteer more. If
> the car is reasonalby balanced in it's handling from
> the factory, then
> the stiffer rear bar could cause pretty drastic
> oversteer just like
> removing the front bar. I still remember the
> pictures of the guy that
> removed his front bar and then, without approaching
> the limits with
> caution, went out and backed his car off the road
> causing considerable
> damage.
> (Yes! I know Shine racing says to remove the front
> bar, but that is with
> their springs which have a different ratio of
> front/rear stiffness!)
> The suspension on a car is a system. Springs,
> shocks, swaybars,
> bushings, geometry. It all has to work together.
> Just because 16V parts
> will fit on an 8V doesn't mean they're appropriate
> for that application.
> Dan

Stiffening up the rear is an accepted method of
improving the handling. This increases oversteer. I
have a 16V rear bar (24mm) on my '82 - coupled with a
16.5mm front bar & H&R springs, I am very happy with
this setup.

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)