[tech] swaybar question

The 16V is heavier than the 8V. Specifically, the front of the 16V is
heavier. So, the front springs have a higher spring rate than the 8V
front springs. (The rear factory springs are different also, but their
spring rate isn't much different.) Higher front spring rate increases
the front roll stiffness. So, with a cornering load more of the weight
transfer will happen at the front causing the car to understeer. VW
compensated for the stiffer front springs by increasing the rear roll
stiffness with a larger rear sway bar.
For a street driven car where ride is important, the ratio of
front-to-rear spring rates is calculated based on front/rear weight
distribution, wheelbase and average speed (speed you want the ride
optimized for). so, if you change the front/rear weight distribution
that should change the ratio of front/rear spring rates which will
change front/rear roll stiffness distribution. This roll stiffness
distribution may not be optimum for handling. This is corrected by
adjusting the roll stiffness distribution with sway bars.
Putting a stiffer rear bar on will cause the car to oversteer more. If
the car is reasonalby balanced in it's handling from the factory, then
the stiffer rear bar could cause pretty drastic oversteer just like
removing the front bar. I still remember the pictures of the guy that
removed his front bar and then, without approaching the limits with
caution, went out and backed his car off the road causing considerable
damage.
(Yes! I know Shine racing says to remove the front bar, but that is with
their springs which have a different ratio of front/rear stiffness!)
The suspension on a car is a system. Springs, shocks, swaybars,
bushings, geometry. It all has to work together. Just because 16V parts
will fit on an 8V doesn't mean they're appropriate for that application.
Dan