[tech] swaybar question

Neal wrote:
> This is how a larger rear swaybar promotes
> oversteer - a rear swaybar actualy reduces rear traction,
> allowing the car to turn better.

A bigger rear bar increases the amount of roll control that the rear end
does in proportion to the front end. It breaks away faster not because the
traction has been reduced, but because it is loading the tires more (and the
front that much less).

Food for thought: I used to rally the Warpig with no front bar. The
increased suspension independence was really nice when going in a straight
line and on extremely bumpy surfaces. Around turns, however, the car
understeered badly. I then replaced the front bar, and guess what happened?
I got *more* lateral grip up front. We had more oversteer than ever!

There are several points to be made about this (significant differences
between front/rear geometry, etc.), but the one I'm focusing on right now is
that their may be traction to be *gained* with a bigger bar -on either end.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!