Quick Question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Krazy Horse" <nightmare16v1988@hotmail.com>

> i pulled the pan off my frozen 16v and discovered that a barring was
missing
> from cylender #3. since a barring is missing, i believe the exaust valves
> are bent on that cylender as well.

It would be intake valves, but they are not necessarily bent. The noise you
were hearing was the bearing self destructing.

> explanes why my car runs and sounds like
> a lawn mower and why i get that God aweful tapping sound.
>i dont think a barring is really just gone. i dont know what else to say, i
>can move the journal forward and back, but not up and down. i took the nuts
>off, but i cant get the journal off to see if the barring is still there.

Move it back and forth with a downward pull. It will come off they are tight
where they meet the block on the sides.

>there are also some really nice chunks of metal in the bottom of my pan

Sorry to report that you are looking at a complete rebuild.  If there are
bearing reminants in the pan and the engine is frozen then it is almost
impossible for the crank not to be galled and in need of machining.

> on to my question; i wanted to pull that piece of plastic off that helps
> keep that oil in place in hard turns, but i broke a little peice when i
was
> also, is there a place that i can get a new one?

What Patrick said!

Rick Alexander
http://www.brubakerbox.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/hams/