Replacing a self adjusting clutch cable

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 12:06:33PM -0500, Bill Collins wrote:

> I have a bad self adjusting clutch cable.  It seems that everyone wants
> to replace these with the manual ones.  So, I have two questions:
>
> 1) Why don't people like the self adjusting cables?

1) When they get old, they don't self adjust well, and the result is like
driving with your foot resting on the clutch pedal.  Tears the hell out of
your throwout bearing.  Mine siezed, then WELDED itself to the clutch
release finger. I have digicam pics of it somewhere, if anyone is
interested.

2) There is a metal elbow in the self-adjusting cable, just behind the
brake booster, which makes the cable take a sharp 30-degree bend.,  The
inside edge of this elbow wears through, making the cable feel gritty and
nasty.  The manual cable does not have this sharp bend.

3) When it comes time to replace the cable, the self-adjusting one is over
a hundred bucks, The manual one is like 10-15.

> 2) What's involved in replacing it with a manually adjustible cable?

The manual cable is shorter than the self-ajusting one.. This is fine, but
you need to route the cable under the intake boot instead of over it. no
other parts need be replaced.  Other than that, a 10 minute job.

Dan

--
People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and
have a tremendous impact on history.

		-- Dan Quayle

(Or they can be Vice President of the United States.)