Help!

Hi,
     I pulled the old clutch cable out and I've got the new one ready to go in,
but I have a question before I do that.  In the hole through the firewall,
there's a round metal sleeve.  The old clutch cable had worn a groove through
the plastic sleeve and into this one.  The cable hanging up in there was the
cause of the problem.  My question is, can I get the metal sleeve in the
firewall out and replace it?  Do I even need to worry about it?  The new clutch
cable has a sleeve that will fit inside the metal sleeve in the firewall, but
it doesn't look like it will last that long and I'll be right back in the same
spot.
     I appreciate any help or guidance.

Cheers,
Colin