Fuel Issues !? (longish)

I am having some major problems with my car. I just put in a new fuel
destributor and everything else that is the top of the air box (thanks again
Peter), which was a fix for an air/fuel mixture that was way off and couldn't
be adjusted properly. The problem I was haveing was horrible idle, and a
horrible bog down in first and at high rpms. Well now she idles like a champ
and doesn't bog-down, but she is still not right. When cold I am getting a
complete cut out at random RPMs usually above 3k in all gears, which goes
away if I put in clutch rev up and release clutch. At all times I am getting
the same cut off when I shift above 4k (my dear and ever fun sweet spot in
the range). What happens is I put it in next gear and when I give gas I get
nothing at all, but if I shift slow and let the pms drop a little it will be
fine, or if I push the clutch in again and relase at a lower RPM. Anyone have
any Ideas as to what this can be? I would rather not have to drill out and
adjust the air fuel mixture, which I don't think I would have to do anyway.
PLEASE HELP I need my power band back!!!

Randy
87' 2.0L 16v Scirroco
Special Broke Ass Ghetto Edition