Need a fuel sytem part and some info on it.

I have a leak coming from the strange distributor like box that sits above
the external fuel pump, and clips onto the gas tank. It has one or two lines
going into it, and one that goes to the fuel pump. What exactly does this
thing do, and Does anyone have a good one for cheap? I have tried the cheap
ass method of JB Weld on the leak (which is coming from the place where the
top hose goes to it) it worked for a week but is now dripping slowly again.
Any help and or info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
 Randy
87' 2.0L 16v Scirroco
Special Broke Ass Ghetto Edition