16v head on a 1.7L engine

On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 15:48:34 -0800 Jerry Carter <jerry.carter@shaw.ca>
writes:
> is it possible? better yet, is it easy?this is my cheapass (sorry
> Ron) way of slowly updating/upgrading my car. I'd just like to know if
it's
> been done, or even if it can be done?
>
> Jerry Carter
> '81 Mk1 Scirocco

"If an 8v head on a 1.8l 16v block raises the CR to 14:1... then dropping
16v head on a 1.7l will bring the CR to far lower than any 7:1. Consider
that the 1.7l motor starts life at around 8:1. That motor will need
tremendous amounts of boost to make any power. The driveability,
reliability, and fuel efficiency will be completely horrible. The
modification makes zero sense."
--
Scott F. Williams

Jerry,

Like Scott said, the 1.7L 16V makes no sense...

Did someone suggest this to you, or is it something you thought up?

You can modify a JH 1.8L head to work with the 1.7L, but I recommend
swapping in the complete 8 valve 1.8L engine.
As long as it's a low compression 1.8L, it's an easy trouble-free engine
swap...

Peter  http://thescirocco.com - Discount dealer - http://tttuning.com -
Peloquin - http://quaifeamerica.com/ - http://www.autotech.com/ -
http://www.magnecor.com/ - http://ronalusa.com - Bear, DE 19701 '79