16v head on a 1.7L engine

Earl asked:
> Wouldn't you have detonation?

Hells no. The compression ratio would be very low. -far lower, in fact, then
the original motor. Thus, the potential for detonation would likely be a lot
lower. The volume and dimensions of the squish area would be radically
changed, though, and that makes it difficult to predict the exact results.

>  Don't 16v cars have different piston types
> than 8v cars?

Yep, the 16v's combustion chamber is mostly in the cylinder head. The 8v's
combustion chamber is in the pistons. That is why a 16v head/8v piston combo
will result in a very low CR. Conversely, running an 8v head on a 16v block
will produce about a 14:1 CR. That is about a 4:1 increase in CR. Thus,
doing the 16v head on the 1.7l block will probably produce the reverse
effect. Could the results actually be a 4:1 CR (orginal is 8:1 or something
like that)? Egads, that would be horrible.

> Also the oil drain in the front of the head
> wouldn't match up with the 1.7 block...Am I right?

Yep, you're right. The oil drain holes would have to be welded up in the 16v
head. That is no big deal.

>  Be better off getting a 16v
> block to avoid
> more costly expenses and surprises I would imagine.

INDEED!
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut