getting close

I'm getting close to solving my fuel injection problems on my 78
scirocco and am hoping for some hints on where to look to solve my
final problem.
The engine initially was just dying as if runningout of gas or flooded.
We have replaced the fuel regulator on the front of the engine, the
distributor, which needed replacing anyway, all seals on the
injectors and have checked fuel pressure and at every point it is up
to specs in bentley.
The car now cranks on first turn of the key and runs great...except
for two problems.
We now can't get it to idle below 1500 without it dying and after
about 10 minutes of idle, more than enough time for it to get to the
proper temperature, it just cuts off.
Any other ideas.
Please help.
It has been sitting since september while I have worked my way
through this mess and have several times wanted to scrap the whole
system and throw a carb on it, but advice from y'all and my mechanic
who is helping have kept me from doing it.
I'm going on faith that once it is running right I will never want a carb.
It is a bone stock 78 with fuel injection.
Thanks again for your help.
Onward thru the fog
David Conner
terrapin@halifax.com
All is impermanent, but this too shall pass away, and the way of the
Samurai is death -- so speak your mind now, or forever hold your peace.