How useful is this turbo? (was: race with a talon0

 The 14B turbo that came on the 1st generation(up to 94) DSMs is the 14B,
and is good for 300hp or so on the DSM, but its not as efficient at higher
boost. The 95+ DSMs came with a Garrett T25 turbo, which has great
response, but flows even less than the 14B. There are lots of other mitsu
turbos available(16G, Big 16G, good for 350 hp or so) that are popular and
easy to find used. But I think Joe is right, if you are looking at custom
fabbing something, a T3 adapter so you can run Turbonetics and Garrett
stuff would be cheaper way to turbo a VW. Those turbos seem to be a bit
cheaper new than the mitsu stuff, and the compressors are good. Plus they
have the ceramic and ball bearing options available($$$$), which makes them
start giving you boost at a lower RPM. I am running a hybrid turbo with
Mitsu housing and turbine, and a Garret compressor wheel on my Eclipse, it
works well, bolts on same as stock, and flows enough for over 400hp at the
wheels, but was pretty $$$ compared to the T3 and T3/T4 turbos you can get.

Heres a pic of the stock 95+ T25 turbo, alongside my upgraded turbo. As you
can see, the stock one is pretty small.
http://www.geocities.com/bradrs1999/turbocompare2.jpg

Brad