Was RIPPED OFF! Future Strategy

Hey Kevin,

Sorry to hear about your getting ripped off it really sucks.  Unfortunately,
there's not much you can do to get your stuff or money back at this point
unless this guy happens to show up at a show with your stuff.  The
authorities are more or less useless in scenarios like this.

In a previous life I was a manager of a large music retail chain.  We got
ripped off like this more often than I care to mention.  And usually it
could've been prevented by the salesperson.

We put together a list of general rules and the thefts decreased
dramatically.  Don't ship the stuff until:

1.  You get a phone number from the guy and call him back on it.
2.  Then verify with the phone company that the person lives at the shipping
address and is listed with that phone number.  If he's unlisted, you must
wait until the funds are deposited into your account before the stuff ships
(i.e. Wait for checks to clear)
3.  If dealing with money orders, take them to your local post office and
verify them.
4.  All personal checks must clear before merchandise ships.
5.  If he only gives you a cell number or pager number this is a red flag
and you should be extra careful.

An alternate method is to ship the stuff to a list member you can trust in
the area of the guy and arrange a cash transaction between them.

You guys could probably add more, but these basic steps should prevent most
thefts.  It's a drag that a legitimate guy who doesn't have a listed phone
number or only has a cell might have to wait longer to receive his stuff,
but if he's really legit he'll understand.  You may even lose a sale over
it, but in the end it's worth doing.

- Jan Folkson  http://www.janfolkson.com
NYC

'86 16V