OT: passat vr6 questions

Oooook, so is the black box for the power windows or for the tranny?  i have
had both answers :)
The car WILL shift into gears while sitting and not running, but i did not
take notice weather it was showing the correct gears in the gage cluster.
To test for spark, i pulled out the front leftmost sparkplug wire as you
look at the engine because thats the only one i could get a good grip on
without the fear of breaking it (i didnt know about the special tool) then i
put a sparkplug on the wire that i had brought with me, had a friend crank
the car over and the sparkplug was sparking... soooo that one cylender has
spark.... i didnt actually check the rest but im sure they have spark as
well.  If they didnt, it would at least sputter a little while cranking
(that is if the fuel pump was working :)
When i go to check the car out this saturday again i will pop off that line
on the fuel rail and check for fuel there like you said and try to jumper
the fuel pump relay as well if i get the info about that.  I should also
check to see weather the gage cluster reads the correct geer.