[Scirocco-l] Re: Bent Valve, Too High Revs!!

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, T Berk wrote:

> Steve, i know the fun of high revving but I'm curious: Does your power
> map actual show gains in grunt up tat high? Would a lower shift to a
> new gear gain more usable power?
>
> Not hattin', just askin.
Well,

Lately i have been curious about rallying... and the rules in rally racing
are pretty liberal, if i built a car it'd be in group 2 which allows
pretty much any mod to an NA engine you want, the only requirement is that
the block of the engine has to come from the same manufactuerer... &
adjusted displacement be less than 2.4 liters (a 16v head gets a
multiplier that makes 2.0 as big as you can go in a 16v) so, since i have
a tendency to change my mind on things, i have been gathering data on what
motor i would build, rater than spending $$ (well other than buying a 9a
and aba motor from the 'yard to play with)

So far i have come up with as close to an ABF as i can get, which is sort
of an ABA block with a 16v head.  Due to the engine having a better
rod-ratio than a 9a, it will tend to pull higher. That and if i do build a
race car, i'd probably invest in DTH throttle bodies, to see what i'm
taling about go to badger5.co.uk & prepare to drool.

The kicker is i'm cheap, and prefer to be inventive rather than throw a
checkbook at a problem. Thus, if i can figure out a way to get higer
reving valve springs without a big expense, that adds to my plan.

I guess really you could say that i am an inveterately curious guy, i tend
to tuck away VW knowledge that may or may not help me immediately for
future use... ask me about splitiwindow bus model year differences and i
could write you a several hundred word essay...

So, i guess that might describe what im after, dunno though...

anyway, the original question was relating to if there were any other vw
audi products where the springs would be an upgrade to a 16v, specifically
early ABA dual valve springs.

take care,

Steve

P.S. my other competing plan is to build my aba/9a/pl hybrid & turbo it,
just for kicks.

             Fashion Twins, activate! form of: a lemming.
                      http://westfailure.org