OT : new GTI announced

Well Porsche still does that with stripped cars just
not here in the US :(  The last I remember was the 911
RS America offered in 93.  I have the Car and Driver
issue with it.  Porsche outside the US has the Gt3 CS
and 968CS and a 993CS while we get all those extras
that are ment for status people not weekend racers
--- Eric L Ellis <onesixv@juno.com> wrote:
> Thank you!  I honestly hate to say this, but I hope
> VW doesn't decide to
> soil the good Scirocco name with a "new and
> improved" (ie. rounded and
> heavy as hell) version.
>
> I truly believe that many car manufactures are
> missing out on an
> important market.  There's a good number of people
> out there, and I'm
> sure in here, that don't care about having a quiet,
> plastic clad, heavy
> car.  The old GTI was wasn't a huge boom in the US
> market back in
> '83-'84, but it did catch on and to this day is
> still hanging on.  I have
> peole that have come up to me interested in the
> Scirocco (my old Mk2 16v)
> who have the A-1 GTI.  My car has too much on it for
> them.  They want
> less sound dampening, insulation, and
> plastic...thus, a lighter car.
>
> Subaru released a "stripped down" version of the
> WRX, right? (STi?)  Why
> can't more manufactures do that?  Just a limited #
> would drive up the
> dealer price for less 'stuff'.  They'd make their
> money!
>
> Eric
> "Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun!"
> http://www.geocities.com/blitzkrieg16v
> AOL IM:  OneSixV
> http://www.geocities.com/onesixv
>
> On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 03:17:47 +0800 " Brad Sterling"
> <bgsterling@earthlink.net> writes:
> > ...snip Eric
> > > Is it just me or is this SOOOOOOO far away from
> what a GTI is
> > supposed to
> > > be?  Put that 1.8t in a light, well handling
> car, and that's what
> > would
> > > make ME think "2002 GTI"!
> > ...end snip
> >
> > That's what I thought too.  They said it was a
> fitting tribute to
> > the A1 GTI. How?  The A1 GTI was light,
> responsive, and understated.
> >  This new GTI sounds heavy, numb (hey, it's an A4
> isn't it), and a
> > little loud in the style department.  I'm not
> saying it sounds like
> > a bad car, just not what I think of when I think
> of a GTI.
> >
> > -Brad
> >
> > --

=====
-Andrew Wong
1984 Black Scirocco(stock)
1987 White Quantum wagon (Stock with auto)
aw614.topcities.com/1984.htm