OT : new GTI announced

Thank you!  I honestly hate to say this, but I hope VW doesn't decide to
soil the good Scirocco name with a "new and improved" (ie. rounded and
heavy as hell) version.

I truly believe that many car manufactures are missing out on an
important market.  There's a good number of people out there, and I'm
sure in here, that don't care about having a quiet, plastic clad, heavy
car.  The old GTI was wasn't a huge boom in the US market back in
'83-'84, but it did catch on and to this day is still hanging on.  I have
peole that have come up to me interested in the Scirocco (my old Mk2 16v)
who have the A-1 GTI.  My car has too much on it for them.  They want
less sound dampening, insulation, and plastic...thus, a lighter car.

Subaru released a "stripped down" version of the WRX, right? (STi?)  Why
can't more manufactures do that?  Just a limited # would drive up the
dealer price for less 'stuff'.  They'd make their money!

Eric
"Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun!"
http://www.geocities.com/blitzkrieg16v
AOL IM:  OneSixV
http://www.geocities.com/onesixv

On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 03:17:47 +0800 " Brad Sterling"
<bgsterling@earthlink.net> writes:
> ...snip Eric
> > Is it just me or is this SOOOOOOO far away from what a GTI is
> supposed to
> > be?  Put that 1.8t in a light, well handling car, and that's what
> would
> > make ME think "2002 GTI"!
> ...end snip
>
> That's what I thought too.  They said it was a fitting tribute to
> the A1 GTI. How?  The A1 GTI was light, responsive, and understated.
>  This new GTI sounds heavy, numb (hey, it's an A4 isn't it), and a
> little loud in the style department.  I'm not saying it sounds like
> a bad car, just not what I think of when I think of a GTI.
>
> -Brad

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.