80's issues

Congratulations on the first drive!  I'm still waiting for that
opportunity in my '87 16v....

> 3.  I drove the car on the highway about 10 miles last night.  When I
> would put the engine under a big load, I could hear the valves
rattling.
> When I got off the exit, it lost lots of power.  It felt like the
timing
> was off.  Do you think this is just the timing?

Could be.  That rattling could be spark knock.  Better check it.  If the
timing is off, start with factory spec which is 6 degrees (I think.
Better consult Bob (bentley) on that).  If everything's working right,
advance the timing 2 degrees.  Test drive.  Any spark knock?  No? Keep
advancing by increments of 2 degrees until you get spark knock, then
back it off 2 degrees.  Around 12 degrees is the best you can get with a
stock setup and no knock sensor.  Why bother?  Advanced timing gives you
a little more power.  I run my Jetta (stock 1.8 CIS-E, no knock sensor)
at 10 on 87octane.  Works well.

Erik L